Longstanton Village History
Longstanton and St Michaels
Longstanton is an amalgamation of two villages, these being Long Stanton All Saints and Long Stanton St Michaels. The present village was created in 1953 and the official name is Longstanton, although the Church decided to call it Long Stanton.
The first known reference to the village is in 1070 as Stantona, an enclosed settlement of stoney ground. The Doomsday Book of 1086 refers to Stantune and the name Longstanton was in use in 1282.
St Michaels, the older of the two existing churches, was built around 1230 and is notable for its thatched roof. The present All Saints Church dates from the mid fourteenth century and was built to replace an earlier church on the same site that was destroyed by fire.
The first known Lord of the Manor of All Saints was named Cheyne. The village has many indications of the impact of the Hatton family, who were Lord of the Manor from the sixteenth century to 1812. The village sign, erected in 1981 to mark the marriage of the Prince of Wales, features a golden hind - from the crest of the Hatton's.
The name of Sir Francis Drake's ship, in which he sailed around the world, was changed from "Pelican" to the "Golden Hind" in recognition of the patronage of Sir Christopher Hatton, Chancellor to Queen Elizabeth I, who was cousin to John Hatton, Lord of the Manor of All Saints.
Sir Thomas Hatton had a 22-acre park in the parish of All Saints surrounding his manor house, Hatton Park. This was dismantled in 1851 and the Hatton Park Primary School now stands on the site.
In 1938 Longstanton's association with the military started with the building of RAF Oakington. The Air Ministry annexed 353 of Longstanton's 2,800 acres for the airfield and the hangers, barracks and married quarters were built in Longstanton.
During the Second World War two bomber squadrons and Bomber Command were operated from the airfield. After the war it was used for transport and then training schools before being handed over to the Army in 1973 and being renamed Oakington Barracks.
In 1999 the Army left Oakington Barracks and the village population dropped substantially until the married quarters were ultimately sold off.