At 5 Folds we take seriously the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults. This page gives information and advice on what to do if you suspect abuse, and is particularly helpful if you are in a position of responsibility within the church.
You can download the Ely Safeguarding Handbook at the bottom of this apge.
What to do if…
You have concerns about possible abuse (including allegations):
- In an emergency, call emergency services 999.
- Otherwise, consult the person to whom you are responsible.
- Decide together whether to seek advice or to make an immediate referral to police or care services (see contact details below).
- Always contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser.
- Keep a record of what happened, your concerns and your actions.
- Tell your parish priest.
- Only tell others who need to know.
- Do not alert the alleged perpetrator.
A child, young person or adult wishes to disclose they have been abused:
- Listen. Keep listening. Do not question or investigate.
- Do not promise confidentiality; tell them we may need to share this.
- Assure them they are not to blame.
- Tell them what you are going to do and that they will be told what happens.
- Make careful notes of what is said, record dates, times, events and when you are told.
- Report it to the person to whom you are responsible and your priest or safeguarding representation.
- Only tell those who need to know.
Things to remember:
- Treat everyone with respect, setting a positive example for others.
- Respect personal space and privacy.
- Ensure any actions cannot be misrepresented by someone else.
- Challenge unacceptable behaviour.
- Do not put anyone, including yourself, in a vulnerable or compromising situation.
- Do not have inappropriate physical or verbal contact with others.
- You must not keep allegations or suspected abuse secret.
Ely Diocese Safeguarding webpages:
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser:
- Rebecca Boswell
Tel: 01353 652731
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (Part Time):
- Sharon Gage
Tel: 01353 652735
Diocesan Safeguarding Officer:
- Sarah King
Tel: 01353 652735
Safeguarding Ely Duty phone:
- Tel: 01353 652747
- Revd Simon Gill
Tel: 01954 230434
Parish Safeguarding Officers (PSO) :
- St. Mary's, Over & St Mary's and All Saints', Willingham:
- Janet Nightingale
Tel: 01954 230401
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Saint's, Longstanton & Pathfinder Church, Northstowe
- Anne Valentine
- Tel: 01954 230519
- St Andrew's, Swavesey
- Micky Carne
- Tel: 01954 230019
Local Council Protection Office:
- For children: Tel 0345 045 5203
- For adults: Tel 0345 045 5202
- out of hours: 01733 234724
- Police: Dial 101
- Dial 999 in an emergency
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline (for adults worries about a child):
- www.nspcc.org.uk Tel: 0808 800 5000
- ChildLine (support and advice for children):
- www.childline.org.uk Tel: 0800 1111
- National Domestic Violence Helpline:
- Tel: 0808 2000 247
- Samaritans Helpline
- Tel: 08457 90 90 90
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline:
- Tel: 080 8808 8141
- Stop it Now / Lucy Faithfull Foundation (for an adult worried about their own behaviour or another’s behaviour towards children):
www.stopitnow.org.uk Tel: 0808 1000 900